Underline indicates AHP authors
- Dallosso HM, Bodicoat DH, Campbell M, Carey ME, Davies MJ, Eborall HC, Hadjiconstantinou M, Khunti K, Speight J, Heller SR (2015) Self-monitoring of blood glucose versus self-monitoring of urine glucose in adults with newly diagnosed type 2 diabetes receiving structured education: a cluster randomised controlled trial. Diabetic Medicine, 32(3): 414-422.
- Speight J, Barendse SM, Singh H, Inkster B, Little S, Frier BM, Shaw JAM. Characterising problematical hypoglycaemia: iterative design and psychometric validation of the Hypoglycaemia Awareness Questionnaire (HypoA-Q). Diabetic Medicine online 13 June 2015 doi: 10.1111/dme.12824
- Elliott J, Jacques R, Kruger J, Campbell MJ, Amiel SA, Mansell P, Speight J, Brennan A, Heller SR (2014) Substantial reductions in episodes of diabetic ketoacidosis and savings in emergency treatment costs following structured education in adults with type 1 diabetes. Diabetic Medicine 31(7): 847–853.
- Little S, Leelarathna L, Barendse SM, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Solomon A, De Soyza N, Rogers H, Choudhary P, Amiel SA, Heller SR, Evans M, Flanagan D, Speight J, Shaw JAM (2014) Severe hypoglycaemia in type 1 diabetes mellitus: underlying drivers and potential strategies for successful prevention. Diabetes / Metabolism Research Reviews, 30: 175-190.
- Little S, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Chapple O, Lubina-Solomon A, Chadwick T, Barendse SM, Stocken DD, Brennand C, Matthews J, Marshall SM, Wood R, Speight J, Kerr D, Begley J, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Evans M, Shaw JAM (2014) Recovery of hypoglycemia awareness in long-standing type 1 diabetes: a multicenter 2×2 factorial randomized controlled trial comparing insulin pump with multiple daily injections and continuous with conventional glucose self-monitoring (HypoCOMPaSS). Diabetes Care, 37(8): 2114-2122.
- Speight J, Barendse SM, Singh H, Little SA, Rutter MK, Heller SR, Shaw JAM (2014) Cognitive, behavioural and psychological barriers to the prevention of severe hypoglycaemia: a qualitative study of adults with type 1 diabetes. SAGE Open Medicine doi: 10.1177/2050312114527443.
- Cooke D, Bond R, Lawton J, Rankin D, Heller S, Clark M, Speight J for the UK NIHR DAFNE Study Group (2013) Structured type 1 diabetes education delivered within routine care: impact on glycemic control and diabetes-specific quality of life. Diabetes Care, 36(2): 270-272.
- Huang IC, Speight J (2013) Psychometric methods for patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measurement. In Turpin R and Mucha L (Eds) Reliability and validity of data sources for outcomes research in disease and health management programs. ISPOR, USA.
- Khagram L, Martin CR, Davies MJ, Speight J (2013) Psychometric validation of the Self-Care Inventory – Revised (SCI-R) in UK adults with type 2 diabetes using data from the AT.LANTUS follow-on study. Health and Quality of Life Outcomes, 11(1): 24. doi:10.1186/1477-7525-11-24.
- Kruger J, Brennan A, Thokala P, Basarir H, Jacques R, Elliott J, Heller SR, Speight J. (2013). The cost-effectiveness of the Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating (DAFNE) structured education programme: an update using the Sheffield Type 1 Diabetes Policy Model. Diabetic Medicine, 30(10): 1236-1244.
- Leelarathna L, Little S, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, LubinaSolomon A, Kumareswaran K, Lane A, Chadwick T, Marshall S, Speight J, Flanagan D, Heller SR, Shaw JAM, Evans M (2013) Restoration of self-awareness of hypoglycemia in adults with long-standing type 1 diabetes: hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemic clamp sub-study results from the Hypo COMPaSS trial. Diabetes Care, 36(12): 4063-70.
- Speight J, Browne JL, Furler J (2013) Challenging evidence and assumptions: is there a role for self-monitoring of blood glucose in people with type 2 diabetes not using insulin? Current Medical Research and Opinion, 29(3): 161-168.
- Barendse SM, Singh H, Frier BM, Speight J (2012) The impact of hypoglycaemia on quality of life in type 2 diabetes: a narrative review. Diabetic Medicine, 29(3), 293-302.
- Dallosso HM, Eborall H, Daly H, Martin-Stacey L, Realf K, Speight J, Carey ME, Campbell MJ, Khunti K, Davies MJ, Heller SR (2012) Does self monitoring of blood glucose as opposed to urinalysis provide additional benefit in patients newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes receiving structured education? Protocol of the DESMOND Self Monitoring Study. BMC Family Practice, 13:18. doi:10.1186/1471-2296-13-18.
- Davies MJ, Speight J (2012) Patient-reported outcomes in trials of incretin-based therapies in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Obesity and Metabolism, 14(10): 882-92.
- Little S, Chadwick T, Matthews J, Choudhary P, Brennand C, Stickland J, Barendse S, Olateju T, Leelarathna L, Walkinshaw E, Tan HK, Heller S, Evans M, Kerr D, Flanagan D, Speight J, Shaw JAM (2012) Comparison of Optimised MDI versus Pumps with or without Sensors in Severe Hypoglycaemia: The Hypo COMPaSS Trial. BMC Endocrine Disorders, 12:33. doi:10.1186/1472-6823-12-33.
- McMillan CV, Speight J, Succetti A, Relan A, Bellizzi L, Haase G, Cicardi M (2012) Content validity of visual analogue scales (VAS) to assess symptom severity of acute angioedema attacks in adults with hereditary angioedema (HAE): an interview study. The Patient: Patient-Centred Outcomes Research, 5(2), 113-126.
- Speight J, Khagram L, Davies MJ (2012) Generic and diabetes-specific well-being in the AT.LANTUS follow-on study: further psychometric validation of the W-BQ28 indicates its utility in research and clinical practice in type 2 diabetes in the UK. Diabetic Medicine, 29(9), e345–e353.
- Malik-Aslam A, Reaney MD, Speight J (2010) The suitability of polycystic ovary syndrome-specific questionnaires for measuring the impact of PCOS on quality of life in clinical trials. Value in Health, 13(4), 440-446.
- Mosely K, Malik-Aslam A, Speight J (2010) Overcoming barriers to diabetes care: perceived communication issues of healthcare professionals attending a pilot Diabetes UK training programme. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 87(2), e11-e14.
- Speight J, Amiel S, Bradley C, Heller S, James P, Oliver L, Roberts S, Rogers H, Taylor C, Thompson G (2010) Long-term biomedical and psychosocial outcomes following DAFNE (Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating) structured education to promote intensive insulin therapy in adults with sub-optimally controlled type 1 diabetes. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice, 89, 22-29.
- Speight J & Howarth A (2010) Quality of life in restless legs syndrome (RLS): a systematic review of clinical trials and a critical review of instruments. The Patient: Patient-Centred Outcomes Research, 3(3), 185-203.
- Speight J, Woodcock AJ, Reaney MD, Smith RM, Shaw JAM (2010) Patient-reported outcomes in islet and pancreas transplantation (alone or after-kidney) in type 1 diabetes: a systematic review. Diabetic Medicine, 27(7), 812-822
- Speight J, Reaney MD, Barnard KD (2009) Not all roads lead to Rome – a review of quality of life measurement in diabetes. Diabetic Medicine, 26(4), 315-327.
- Smith D, Reaney MD, Speight J. Conducting literatures reviews to support the ue of patient-reported outcomes (PRO) measures in clinical trials – the benefits of a systematic search strategy. ISPOR Connections, 15, 4-6.
- Barnard KD, Speight J, Skinner TC (2008) Quality of life and impact of continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion for children and their parents. Practical Diabetes International, 25(7), 278-284.
- Reaney MD, Martin CR, Speight J (2008) Understanding and assessing the impact of alcoholism on quality of life: a systematic review of the content validity of instruments used to assess HRQOL in alcoholism. The Patient: Patient-Centred Outcomes Research, 1(3), 151-163.
- Speight J, Barrington M, McMillan CV, Victor C (2006) Scales to measure positive mental health in adults: Technical Report. Glasgow: NHS Health Scotland.
- Speight J, Barrington M, McMillan CV, Victor C (2006) Mental health improvement. Evidence and Practice Guide 5: Scales to measure positive mental health in adults. Glasgow: NHS Health Scotland.
- Barendse S, Speight J & Bradley C (2005) The Renal Treatment Satisfaction Questionnaire (RTSQ): a measure of satisfaction with treatment for Chronic Kidney Failure. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 45(3), 572-579.